Sunday, July 31, 2011

Last July 22, 2011, I finally got my new lappy, a Sony Vaio Y Netbook and I'm naming it Sonnie-Boy!
.
.
.
.
.
OK I'm gonna stop right here and  give you guys 5 minutes to laugh or  rant or say anything about me because I know I'm a freak. Wohahaha! >:D
.
.
.
.
.
.
DONE?

Okay let me continue with my little introduction of Sonnie-Boy. wahaha. :P

Yeah, I'm naming it Sonnie-Boy. The first name I thought was actually Sonia (it would fit if I bought the pink one) but I bought the silver colored so it should be a masculine name.

In my year opener post, I wrote that I'll buy a MacBook Pro and I'll kill for it. (Yeah! Already killed mosquitoes, flies and cockroaches. LOL!). But just lately, Sony unveiled their latest netbook Sony Vaio Y and when I saw the netbook at SM, I immediately considered buying it rather than the more expensive MacBook Pro. Sony Vaio is actually the only laptop brand I would consider if I would not buy an Apple brand. Hehe. I spent many nights thinking about it, searched a lot of blog reviews, asked some geeks, and those led me to my final decision : to buy a Sony Vaio Y Netbook instead of MacBook Pro. 

Here are the things I considered while having a deep soul-searching:
  • MacBook Pro is super expensive. It costs around P60,00 while Sony Vaio costs half of its price. I'll have to wait for how many months just to buy MacBook and I am a person who is very impatient.
  • MacBook's Operating System is not Windows. Hahaha! Obvious ba? I mean, all my life I have used Windows OS. I am well versed with the tweaks - how to reformat, make the system fast, install programs, and I have an installer collection of amazing applications which runs on Windows OS. Even though I am an IT person, I still fear that I can't personalize or I will find it hard to personalize my laptop using MacOS.
  • MacBook is dependent on internet (that's my belief, correct me if I'm wrong) - unfortunately, we don't have WIFI in our apartment. I'm just using a pathetic SmartBro. Going to Coffee shops or WIFI hot spots is  not a good alternative either. This would mean that I would find it hard to install my desired applications especially programming tools.
  • I got fascinated with the Sony Vaio netbook's  tagline "The most powerful netbook."
  • I analyzed the reason why I want to buy a laptop - it's because I want to bring a portable device when I travel to keep me connected especially in the office. Then, I wanna try online jobs too. I really think I would find it hard to install programming tools using MacOS, I know it's very much possible but my mind is not yet open to those possibilities, hahaha.I think it would be very tedious.
  • I can buy another gadgets like  iTouch 4 and Blackberry Curve if  I choose Sony Vaio instead of MacBook.
  • I still have next year and the year after next year to buy a MacBook Pro (as long as it is not yet the end of the world on 2012. Haha!). Maybe, it's not yet really the perfect time for me to own a MacBook. Huhu. But I will someday. Haha. I know I will! =)

My thoughts on Sonnie-Boy:
  •  Honestly, at first I really had a hard time because the free OS is Windows 7 Starter. I prefer Windows XP Service Pack 3 but can't install it because the machine won't allow older versions of Windows. I didn't push through with the installation because it might cause damage to the machine. What I did was to tweak the registry to make it faster and I was successful!
  • Sound is not that nice but not bad either. Well, it doesn't matter because I bought an X-Mini Speaker and these mini speakers are really awesome gadgets! Very cute and portable but can deliver super bass, excellent and quality sound.
  • It's only 1.46 kilogram. I am excited to bring Sonnie-Boy in my next few trips.
  • No internal DVD writer. Of course, what do you expect from a netbook, huh? Well, I bought an Imation external DVD RW+ to remedy the situation.
  • So far, I am very happy with my new toy after I did the tweaks and personalized the configuration. I feel like I got a new bestfriend. =)
Specifications:
  • AMD Dual-Core E-350 processor (1.6GHz)
  • 11.6-inch WXGA with LED backlight (1366 x 768)
  • Genuine Windows 7 Starter 32-bit
  • 2GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon HD 6310 integrated graphics
  • 320GB hard disk
  • Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP
  • 6-cell 3500mAh Li-Ion battery
  • 1.46 kg
Meet Sonnie-Boy! :)
Sonnie-Boy with my X-Mini Speakers.
Front View.
Sexy Back!

2 comments:

  1. i also bought one last month... medyu mahina nga ang sounds pero ok lang... hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pinoy Adventurista! hehe... Napadpad ka sa blog ko... hehe... Yeah! Medyo mahina kaya bumili ako ng X-Mini speakers... hehe

    ReplyDelete